Centacare acknowledges and values the contribution volunteers make to the agency, its clients, and the community as we strive towards our vision.
About the Volunteer Position
Centacare, as the lead agency of a consortium-based model, is responsible for operating headspace Port Adelaide. headspace is Australia's National Youth Mental Health Foundation. The headspace mission is to improve the mental health, social wellbeing and economic participation of young Australians aged 12-25. headspace Port Adelaide provides free services to young people in the areas of mental health, physical health, alcohol and other drugs, work and study.
In this volunteer role, you will help by performing the following duties:
• Participate in monthly meetings to provide youth input to headspace Port Adelaide.
• Be prepared to undertake training about headspace, mental health, mental illness, talking to the media
and other associated topics.
• Be open and willing to participate in teleconferences, email and Facebook discussions.
• Support local headspace activities
We are looking for motivated individuals who:
- Outgoing friendly personality
- Ability to relate to and communicate with people from all different cultures,
including young children, parents and agency staff
- Ability to work within a team environment, willingness to work within policy
- Eager and willing to participate in training courses conducted
As an individual:
- Have an interest and passion in mental health and/or alcohol and other drug issues for
- The ability to think about the big picture.
- The ability to work in a team and participate in group discussions as well as working independently.
- Motivation, willingness and commitment to participate on an ongoing basis.
- Strong communication skills.
- The ability to balance health (including mental health), other responsibilities e.g.
school/work/uni/family, and the demands of the YRG position.
- Have regular access to internet and phone.
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Parental or guardian consent will be needed for young people under 18 years of
Our volunteers must have a valid Working with Children Check which we can support you to obtain.
What's in it for you
The benefits of volunteering at Centacare include:
- Share existing skills and gain new ones
- Meet new people and create social connections
- Contribute to community
- having fun & making a difference
- increase self confidence
- stay physically & mentally healthy
- a pathway to employment
- annual celebration volunteer celebrations
Who we are
Each year, we support more than 30,000 people through community services in metropolitan and regional South Australia, operating within a strong ethical framework. We are client focused and provide support regardless of race, economic circumstance, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious belief or ethnic background. Centacare is a Child Safe, Quality Accredited Organisation and is a registered NDIS provider. We value the uniqueness of individuals, we consult, collaborate and operate with integrity and professionalism. Centacare is committed to cultivating a harmonious workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Equal opportunity principles align with our mission, vision and values. We believe that treating our workers fairly has a positive impact on our clients and maintains our reputation as a great place to work.
To learn more about us, click on the video Centacare Catholic Family Services - Our Story.
How to Register Interest
Click on the "Interested" button to submit an application for a volunteer role at Centacare. Please attach a Cover Letter and Resume in the same document. The Cover Letter should address how you believe that you meet the requirements of the role. If you have any questions please contact Nicole Wilson, Manager, on 08 8215 6740.