EXPRESSION OF INTEREST for Foster Carers. Have you thought about Foster care? Are you caring and compassionate? Do you have a spare bedroom in your home?
We have opportunities for short term, long term and respite foster carers to provide a caring home environment for children aged 0-17 years in our Family Preservation Foster Care Program where the plan is to reunify a child or children to the care of their birth family.
Foster carers play a key role in nurturing the child's development and healing through therapeutic care. They will work as part of a team to support the child and their birth family. Children are likely to require short term care for a period of 6-18 months.
You will be supported with an enhanced allowance, therapeutic training and development opportunities and 24/7 carer support. Individuals, couples, empty nesters, same sex couples (with or without children) aged 25-70 are able to apply. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and those with diverse cultural backgrounds are also encouraged to apply.
For the past 74 years, Centacare have been supporting people to reach their full potential so they can participate in community regardless of their circumstances. Centacare is a not-for-profit organisation that responds to need in the areas of disability, homelessness, domestic violence, family outreach and relationships, youth, community support, training and intervention services. At Centacare, we believe for justice to be upheld, we must become compassionate voices in action for all.
About the Family Preservation Foster Care program
Centacare is dedicated to supporting vulnerable children. We recognise that children come into care as a result of complex family situations and that they are likely to have experienced neglect or abuse. Children in foster care may have challenging behaviour as a result of their experiences and require committed and empathetic carers. Children in care come from a range of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. Centacare is seeking compassionate people ready to open their hearts and homes to a child in need or siblings who need a home together.
Centacare provides Family Preservation Foster Care for children aged 0-17 years of age who have a reunification plan with their birth family. Children within the program are generally on short term Guardianship Orders with placement lengths ranging between 6-18 months. Our foster carers work as part of a ‘Care Team’, which consists of the Department of Child Protection (DCP), Centacare, birth families and any other support services involved to meet the child’s needs. Our aim is to provide a holistic approach to caring for a child. The goal of the program is to support children and birth parents to be reunified home with birth families. Centacare strives to ensure that together we create an environment of understanding and respect for birth parents and children, we are always working in the best interest of the children in care.
As a Foster Carer in our program, your contribution will make a positive difference in a child’s life. Supporting the process of reunification and reuniting a child with their birth family can be an extremely rewarding experience. Carers within the Centacare foster care program make a real difference every day. They recognise this period, when a child is in foster care, is often one of the most difficult times in their young lives.
- Empathy and a commitment to providing a child a safe place to heal and thrive. Understanding, knowledge and skills in the area of caring for children and ideally a willingness to learn how to support children who have high and complex emotional needs is well regarded
- Aged 25 to 70 years of age - single, married, de-facto or same-sex couple, with or without children.
- They have a spare room and can provide a welcoming and safe home environment for a child to flourish.
- Can commit to becoming a full time or respite foster carer for the program.
- Live within Adelaide Metropolitan area, Adelaide Hills, Barossa and Light and Lower Light.
- Has a current driver’s licence and willingness to transport children in your care.
- Have a permanent resident status.
What Centacare Foster Care program offers you:
- A chance to play an integral role in reunifying children safely back into the care of their birth families.
- In recognition of your important work we offer an enhanced financial amount than traditional foster caring, recognising the special nature of the role. The current amount is $892 per week for the first child and $446 for the second child per week.
- Professional development training so that you build on your skills in understanding and managing challenging behaviours.
- Intensive support, including a dedicated Centacare Foster Carer Support Worker and access to 24 hour telephone support 7 days a week.
- An Aboriginal Consultant who will support and advise you when caring for Aboriginal children.
About the role:
Centacare foster carers provide vulnerable children with the highest level of responsive therapeutic care giving, offering children the best opportunity for their future development and well-being. Centacare recognises that achieving optimum outcomes for children in care requires ongoing investment in carers. Centacare ensures that our foster carers have the skills to implement daily strategies to support the children within their care. Our carers receive ongoing training and have a dedicated Foster Care Support Worker to assist them in understand what is driving the child’s behaviours in order to for the carer to meet the child’s underlying emotional needs. Centacare supports our carers through every stage of the process, together we help you to build and develop your therapeutic skills to ensure you are able to confidently respond and care for children, while providing a safe and nurturing home environment.
As a full time foster carer you will help a child manage their behaviours and assist them to meet their educational and developmental milestones. You will transport the child in your care to doctor’s appointment, school, therapy, family access and be actively supportive of the reunification process and the birth family. Foster carers play a vital role in facilitating and maintaining family and cultural connection for the child in their care.
As a respite carer you will support full time foster carer families with respite support on designated weekends and/or school holidays to support children and families in the program.
The role of a foster carer is both challenging and rewarding. Centacare foster carers provide so much more than just a safe place to stay. They recognise that a child’s healing needs to begin the day they are placed in care. Our carers recognise that the daily contact they have with the child in their care provides countless opportunities for positive connection. Centacare foster carers make a real difference in a child’s life every day.
If you want to find out more about the Centacare foster program or are interested in becoming a foster carer, please contact our foster care team on (08) 8159 1400 for further information or register your interest here. All applications are strictly confidential.